Recommended Reading List
- View a pdf list of books recommended by BJUnity
Questions of Sexuality and Faith
- Adam and Eve – Did God intend to prohibit same sex marriage partnerships? — Gay Christian 101
- Biblical Complementarity – The Bible Never Says What Complementarians Teach—Gay Christian 101
- The Bible and Homosexuality by Mona West
- Meanings of the Greek Words ‘Pornea’ and ‘Akatharsia’ in the Christian Scriptures (New Testament) — Religious Tolerance
- What the Bible Says—and Doesn’t Say—About Homosexuality by Mel White [link to PDF]
- Christianity, Social Tolerance and Homosexuality by John Boswell
- Same-Sex Unions in Pre-Modern Europe by John Boswell
- Bulletproof Faith by Candace Chellew
- Gifted by Otherness by L. William Countryman and M.R. Ritley
- Washed and Waiting by Wesley Hill
- Love is an Orientation by Andrew Marin
- Is It A Choice? by Eric Marcus
- The Children Are Free: Reexamining the Biblical Evidence on Same-sex Relationships by Rev. Jeff Miner and John Tyler Connoley
- Is the Homosexual my Neighbor? by Virginia Ramey Mollenkott and Letha Dawson Scanzoni
- Clobbering “Biblical” Gay Bashing by Mark Sandlin
- What God Has Joined Together by David G. Myers and Letha Dawson Scanzoni
- UNFAIR: Why the “Christian” View of Gays Doesn’t Work by John Shore
- Video: For the Bible Tells Me So
- Video: The Gay Debate: The Bible and Homosexuality — Video and transcripts by Matthew Vines. Also see Matthew’s blog.
- DVD: Through My Eyes — The Gay Christian Network
Questions of Gender
- Transgender Christians — Website which has not been updated recently
- TransFaith — TransFaith Online website
- The Ins and Outs of Gay Sex by Stephen E. Goldstone
Coming Out Resources
- Coming Out Resources — Cathedral of Hope
- Additional texts worth looking for:
- Bess, H. H. (1995). Pastor, I am gay. Palmar Pub. Co.
- Blumenfeld, W. J. (Ed.). (1992). Homophobia: How we all pay the price. Boston: Beacon Press.
- Bono, C., & Fitzpatrick, B. (1998). Family outing. Little Brown & Company.
- Eichberg, R. (1990). Coming out an act of love: An inspiring call to action for gay men, lesbians, and those who care. New York: PLUME.
- Ellis, A. L., & Riggle, E. D. B. (Eds.). Sexual identity on the job: Issues and services. New York: Harrington Park Press.
- Epstein, D. (Ed.), (1994) Challenging lesbian and gay inequalities in education. Philadelphia: Open University Press.
- Fairchild, B., & Hayward, N. (1998). Now that you know: A parents’ guide to understanding their gay and lesbian children. Harcourt Brace.
- Friskopp, A., & Silverstein, S. (1995). Straight jobs gay lives: Gay and lesbian professionals, the Harvard Business School, and the American workplace. New York: Scribner.
- Gomes, P. J. (1996). The Good Book: Reading the Bible with mind and heart. New York: William Morrow and Company, Inc.
- Griffin, C. W., Wirth, M. J. , & Wirth, A. G. (1997). Beyond acceptance: Parents of lesbians and gays talk about their experiences. New York: St. Martin’s Press.
- Groff, D. (Ed). (1997). Out facts: Just about everything you need to know about gay and lesbian life. New York: Universe Publishing.
- Gross, L. (1993). Contested closets: The politics and ethics of outing. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Handel, L. (1998). Now that you’re out of the closet, what about the rest of the house? Cleveland, OH: The Pilgrim Press.
- Herdt, G. (Ed.). (1992). Gay culture in America: Essays from the field. Boston: Beacon Press.
- Isay, R. A. (1996). Becoming gay: The journey to self-acceptance. New York: Henry Holt and Company.
- Isensee, R. (1997). Reclaiming your life: The gay man’s guide to love, self-acceptance, and trust. Los Angeles: Alyson Books.
- Jennings, K. (Ed.). (1994). One teacher in 10: Gay and lesbian educators tell their stories. Boston: Alyson Pub., Inc.
- Johnson, B. K. (1997). Coming out every day: A gay, bisexual, or questioning man’s guide. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.
- Kaufman, G., & Raphael, L. (1996). Coming out of shame: Transforming gay and lesbian lives. New York: Doubleday.
- Kominars, S. B., & Kominars, K. D. (1996). Accepting ourselves and others: A journey into recovery from addictive & compulsive behaviors for gays, lesbians & bisexuals. Center City, MN: Hazelden.
- McNaught, Brian. (1997). Now that I’m out, what do I do? New York: St. Martin’s Press.
- Merla, P. (Ed.). (1996). Boys like us: Gay writers tell their coming out stories. New York: Avon Books.
- Miller, N. (1992). Out in the world: Gay and lesbian life from Buenos Aires to Bangkok. New York: Vintage Books.
- Milton, A. (1995). Lavender light: Daily meditations for gay men in recovery. New York: The Berkley Publishing Group.
- Muchmore, W., & Hanson, W. (1986). Coming along fine: Today’s gay man and his world. Boston: Alyson Publications.
- Muchmore, W., & Hanson, W. (1991). Coming out right: A handbook for the gay male (rev. ed.). Boston: Alyson Publications.
- National Museum & Archive of Lesbian and Gay History. (1996). The gay almanac. New York: The Berkley Publishing Group.
- Neisen, J. H. (1994). Reclaiming pride: Daily Reflections on gay and lesbian life. Dearfield Beach, FL: Health Communications, Inc.
- Osborn, T. (1996). Coming home to America: A roadmap to gay & lesbian empowerment. New York: St. Martin’s Press.
- Rasi, R. A., & Rodriguez-Nogues, L. (1995). Out in the workplace: The pleasures and perils of coming out on the job. Los Angeles: Alyson Pub.
- Rhoads, R. A. (1994). Coming out in college: The struggle for a queer identity. Westport, CT: Bergin & Garvey.
- Ringer, R. J. (Ed). (1994). Queer words, queer images: Communication and the construction of homosexuality. New York: New York University Press.
- Riordon, M. (1996). Out our way: Gay and lesbian life in the country. Toronto: Between the Lines.
- Saks, A., & Curtis, W. (Eds.). (1994). Revelations: Gay men’s coming-out stories. Boston: Alyson Pub., Inc.
- Signorile, M. (1995). Outing yourself: How to come out as lesbian or gay to your family, friends, and coworkers. New York: Simon & Schuster.
- Sutton, R. (1994). Hearing us out: Voices from the gay and lesbian community. Boston: Little, Brown and Company.
- Umans, M. (Ed.). (1988) Like coming home: Coming-out letters. Austin: Banned Books.
- Vargo, M. E. (1998). Acts of Disclosure: The coming-out process of contemporary gay men. New York: The Harrington Park Press.
- Walling, D. R. (Ed.). (1996). Open lives safe schools: Addressing gay and lesbian issues in education. Bloomington, IN: Phi Delta Kappa Educational Foundation.
- White, M. (1995). Stranger at the gate: To be gay and Christian in America. Plume.
- Winfield, L., & Spielman, S. (1995). Straight talk about gays in the workplace: Creating an inclusive, productive environment for everyone in your organization. New York: AMACOM.
- Witt, L., Thomas, S., & Marcus, E. (Eds.). (1995). Out in all directions: The almanac of gay and lesbian America. New York: Warner Books, Inc.
- Woog, D. (1995). School’s out: The impact of gay and lesbian issues on America’s schools. Boston: Alyson Pub., Inc.